Selecting a divorce attorney is a critical decision making process here in the Colorado Springs area. The person who you hire will be responsible for obtaining or maintaining your custody rights to your children, your property interests, and depending upon the side you are one, either minimizing or maximizing your support rights.
In reality, selecting a divorce attorney is also an incredibly stressful experience. Do it right and you can breath easy. Do it wrong and you will spend years making up for losses that might have been prevented. Do not fear though, we are here to help you in finding your divorce lawyer!
5 Tips to Help You Find a Divorce Attorney
Going through a divorce is a devastating thing for most people. It is one of the worst times in anyone's life. It is an emotional time, not knowing what your financial status will be until it is over. Whether you want to or not, it is critical that you find an excellent divorce attorney. Your financial stability depends on it. However it is not always as easy as it sounds. You need to find the best there is, and often it will take some research in order to find someone who will represent your best interests.
When you first start your search, create a list of attorneys that you may be interested in. Make appointments with each of them and then interview each one. Make sure you are speaking to the attorney that will handle your case and not a law clerk or paralegal. Most divorce attorneys will not charge for this initial consultation because they realize they are being interviewed.
Ask them how long they have been in practice and what their success rate is. Ask for references from past clients and speak to them. Also ask them what their fees are and what they include. Find out if you can get questions answered during the procedure without them billing you for every microsecond that they talk to you.
A good divorce attorney will welcome and answer any question that you have. He or she above all understands what is at stake and will do everything in his or her power to get you what you deserve.
Most divorce attorneys do not charge for the initial consultation. However if the attorney is highly sought after, there may be a consultation fee. You may want to consider paying this fee because the attorney did not get his or her reputation for losing cases.
When you first start your search for a divorce attorney, you can start with your local phonebook. Another option is to ask friends and family who have suffered divorce for their recommendations. Personal recommendations can carry a lot of value if you trust and respect the person giving their opinion.
A good divorce attorney will take into consideration the needs of you and your family, especially if you have children. He or she will do everything they can to settle your case out of court. While they usually charge one rate, if the divorce can be settled out of court, most often they will reduce their rate, sometimes significantly.
Be wary of an attorney that wants to go to court. He or she may not have your best interest in mind. Again, if an out of court settlement can be reached, that is most likely in your best financial interests.
A good attorney will also do everything in his or her power to make sure that the divorce is the only answer to your marital situation. This could include recommending counseling. If there is a chance to salvage your marriage, he or she will encourage you to take the chance. Only when there is no other option will he or she proceed with the divorce and make sure that you get your share of the marital assets.
Choosing a good divorce attorney will give you the peace of mind in knowing that you will be well taken care of at a time of confusion, chaos and just a mess of dealings. Divorce is hard on all parties that are involved and with a good divorce attorney; it can relieve some of the stress from your life.
Good Divorce Lawyer - How to Find Them
As a marriage starts out in euphoria, sometimes it doesn't last and soon enters into a divorce. Around half of all marriages will fall apart and eventually file for divorce. The next step that should be considered is either obtaining a divorce attorney or attempting to file all the legal documents by yourself. There should be some careful consideration before a decision is made.
No one goes into a marriage thinking they will eventually file for a divorce. Dismally in our society, divorces have become more common and accepting than generations before. Either way, the whole family is hurt by a divorce. Emotions and strengths of character are tested during the roller coaster ride of a divorce. By having emotions and feelings being hit so hard, a person going through a divorce should not have to deal with the legal issues pertaining to their case. This era in one's life should not be thought lightly and a divorce attorney should be hired to ease the burden. Even if you are contemplating hiring a divorce attorney, it should be considered that even lawyers will hire and delegate their own divorces to other attorneys.
Advantages When Hiring a Divorce Attorney
1. Experience- Many people going through a divorce, do not have the slightest clue of the legal proceedings. A divorce attorney on the other hand will know exactly what and when to proceed with filings. Having a legal professional that has expertise in family law will be an advantage to your side. They will be able to educate and inform their clients on the particulars of divorce laws that are unique to your locality. Family law specialists will be able to offer their insight on what the outcome of the divorce will yield. There is no perfect divorce equation, but having the experience, a divorce lawyer can have a good guess on what is going to happen.
2. Local Experience- Hiring a local attorney is much better than hiring a high profile attorney that is not located in your jurisdiction. Not only will they will understand the local laws, but they will have a good impression on other lawyers, court clerks and judges who will be running your case. This is an advantage as the lawyer can predict actions of judges and anticipate other divorce attorneys moves.
3. No Emotional Bond- From the emotional toll before and during your divorce proceedings, you will become attached to certain items and intangible aspects through the divorce. A divorce attorney will not have the emotional bond to a court case that a person going through the divorce will have. There is no doubt that the legal representative will have your best interest, but he or she will not make irrational decisions based on emotions. They will rather base decisions upon fair compensation and legal practices. If a person is going through a divorce with children, these emotions are even higher, having another reason to hire a family law specialist.
4. Efficient- If a person is trying to complete their own divorce, it will take a lot of research, time and effort to understand the legal filing process, terms and procedures. If that same person is working and taking care of kids, it's nearly impossible to complete efficiently. When hiring a divorce attorney, these tasks will be handled swiftly and professionally by your divorce lawyer.
5. Expertise- By working with the same type of clients and dealing with the legal system, a divorce lawyer has built an expertise in the family law field. Other attorneys may practice different entities of the legal system, but an attorney who deals strictly with family law and divorce, will have built their reputation and expertise in that field. Whenever hiring an attorney, always make sure they have expertise or credentials showing their skills in their field of practice.
If you are deciding whether or not to hire a divorce attorney, it will be much easier on you and your family if you do. By hiring a divorce lawyer, he/she will be giving the professionalism and experience that is needed when dwelling into the legal system. The divorce attorney be as efficient as possible with filing papers with the courts and not having the emotional bond that their clients hold onto during a divorce. Hiring an expert in the field of family law will give you an advantage and save much time and effort during a high turmoil time in your life
Selecting a Divorce Attorney
Asking questions to you divorce lawyer is important. These questions will help you have a better understanding of the divorce process and to find whether the lawyer can handle your case effectively or not.
If reconciliation is out of question and you are considering divorce on a serious note, you should consult your family lawyer. Think of all the questions that you wish to ask him and list them down. Then, arrange a meeting with him. Some of the questions that you can ask your lawyer are as follows:
How specialized is he in the field of family law? Other than family law, there are several fields in which lawyers conduct their practice. You must get the help of a professional lawyer who is experienced in the field. You should obviously ask him first whether he is willing to handle a case like yours. Make sure that lawyer is either a member of divorce lawyer Aberdeen.
What would be the dues? In other words how much will he charge for your divorce case? Whether he will accept his pay through a credit card or cash. Do ask him if he is willing to accept a delayed payment in case of an unavoidable situation?
What will be the way or source of communication between both parties? Will you correspond through a mobile phone or email?
Mobile phone communication is much easier than email. Through mobile phones, you can contact your lawyer even from a long distance.
What will be the process of the divorce? It is your legal right to ask your lawyer about the whole process through which you are to pass. He must educate you how to file a petition, how to negotiate regarding temporary orders and all about the trial process.
How much will the whole process take? Lawyers are experienced enough to estimate the time required in any particular case. Ask your lawyer about how much time your case will consume.
How much will the entire case cost? This is the most important question for you as it may affect your savings and earnings. May be your lawyer shows reluctance and refrains from quoting a figure. After all, it is a difficult question to answer. He may be able to give you a rough estimate and not the actual amount since that caries greatly from one case to another. The cost of your case also depends on how much conflicting and difficult the case is and also the steps that you wish your lawyer to take.
What would be his role in terms of making the divorce process less throbbing, less painful and less difficult for his clients? Separation is sometimes very difficult especially if it is not wholeheartedly. This process lands many people into depression and causes a state of severe mental distress. A professional, experienced and a good lawyer keeps his eye on this psychological aspect of his client. Do ask him if he provides recommendation to consult a therapist or counsellor? Does he help his clients to gain knowledge of the process of self-education? Does he recommend you to consult any other member of divorce lawyer Aberdeen?
Is mediation required in your case? It is another question you can ask your lawyer. You can ask him whether he thinks mediation is possible in your case or not? If he gives you a positive response then ask him if he uses private mediation with his clients or not. A lawyer sincere with his client always tries to settle the case once it is analysed. If he does not use mediation or any other mean to settle the case than he is not loyal to his client. So do ask your lawyer if he prefers private mediation or not in order to solve the case.
You can ask your lawyer if he can predict the reaction of the judge regarding your case. Experienced lawyers can easily foretell the reaction of the judge after the hearing of the case. They prefigure the response of the judge as the completely and thoroughly analyse the case. Do carefully listen to their analysis and consider the facts he informs you about. These will surely going to help you out in your case. If you seriously hold the instructions your lawyer gives you this may turn the case in your favour at any stage of the divorce process. The divorce process seems easy but the reality is the other way round. However, if you cannot avoid divorce and it becomes inevitable, then, consult your lawyer. You can ask your lawyer the above mentioned questions.
Divorce can sometimes be the best option for a bad marriage. However, getting a divorce is not an easy task. The procedure usually involves a lot of legal complexities relating to the custody of children, property, alimony, child support, and other such issues. Letting a divorce lawyer deal with all of the messy issues is often the best choice for either party.