Selecting a divorce attorney is a critical decision making process here in the Colorado Springs area. The person who you hire will be responsible for obtaining or maintaining your custody rights to your children, your property interests, and depending upon the side you are one, either minimizing or maximizing your support rights.
In reality, selecting a divorce attorney is also an incredibly stressful experience. Do it right and you can breath easy. Do it wrong and you will spend years making up for losses that might have been prevented. Do not fear though, we are here to help you in finding your divorce lawyer!
Selecting a Divorce Attorney
Going through a divorce is a devastating thing for most people. It is one of the worst times in anyone's life. It is an emotional time, not knowing what your financial status will be until it is over. Whether you want to or not, it is critical that you find an excellent divorce attorney. Your financial stability depends on it. However it is not always as easy as it sounds. You need to find the best there is, and often it will take some research in order to find someone who will represent your best interests.
When you first start your search, create a list of attorneys that you may be interested in. Make appointments with each of them and then interview each one. Make sure you are speaking to the attorney that will handle your case and not a law clerk or paralegal. Most divorce attorneys will not charge for this initial consultation because they realize they are being interviewed.
Ask them how long they have been in practice and what their success rate is. Ask for references from past clients and speak to them. Also ask them what their fees are and what they include. Find out if you can get questions answered during the procedure without them billing you for every microsecond that they talk to you.
A good divorce attorney will welcome and answer any question that you have. He or she above all understands what is at stake and will do everything in his or her power to get you what you deserve.
Most divorce attorneys do not charge for the initial consultation. However if the attorney is highly sought after, there may be a consultation fee. You may want to consider paying this fee because the attorney did not get his or her reputation for losing cases.
When you first start your search for a divorce attorney, you can start with your local phonebook. Another option is to ask friends and family who have suffered divorce for their recommendations. Personal recommendations can carry a lot of value if you trust and respect the person giving their opinion.
A good divorce attorney will take into consideration the needs of you and your family, especially if you have children. He or she will do everything they can to settle your case out of court. While they usually charge one rate, if the divorce can be settled out of court, most often they will reduce their rate, sometimes significantly.
Be wary of an attorney that wants to go to court. He or she may not have your best interest in mind. Again, if an out of court settlement can be reached, that is most likely in your best financial interests.
A good attorney will also do everything in his or her power to make sure that the divorce is the only answer to your marital situation. This could include recommending counseling. If there is a chance to salvage your marriage, he or she will encourage you to take the chance. Only when there is no other option will he or she proceed with the divorce and make sure that you get your share of the marital assets.
Choosing a good divorce attorney will give you the peace of mind in knowing that you will be well taken care of at a time of confusion, chaos and just a mess of dealings. Divorce is hard on all parties that are involved and with a good divorce attorney; it can relieve some of the stress from your life.
Good Divorce Lawyer - How to Find Them
As a marriage starts out in euphoria, sometimes it doesn't last and soon enters into a divorce. Around half of all marriages will fall apart and eventually file for divorce. The next step that should be considered is either obtaining a divorce attorney or attempting to file all the legal documents by yourself. There should be some careful consideration before a decision is made.
No one goes into a marriage thinking they will eventually file for a divorce. Dismally in our society, divorces have become more common and accepting than generations before. Either way, the whole family is hurt by a divorce. Emotions and strengths of character are tested during the roller coaster ride of a divorce. By having emotions and feelings being hit so hard, a person going through a divorce should not have to deal with the legal issues pertaining to their case. This era in one's life should not be thought lightly and a divorce attorney should be hired to ease the burden. Even if you are contemplating hiring a divorce attorney, it should be considered that even lawyers will hire and delegate their own divorces to other attorneys.
Advantages When Hiring a Divorce Attorney
1. Experience- Many people going through a divorce, do not have the slightest clue of the legal proceedings. A divorce attorney on the other hand will know exactly what and when to proceed with filings. Having a legal professional that has expertise in family law will be an advantage to your side. They will be able to educate and inform their clients on the particulars of divorce laws that are unique to your locality. Family law specialists will be able to offer their insight on what the outcome of the divorce will yield. There is no perfect divorce equation, but having the experience, a divorce lawyer can have a good guess on what is going to happen.
2. Local Experience- Hiring a local attorney is much better than hiring a high profile attorney that is not located in your jurisdiction. Not only will they will understand the local laws, but they will have a good impression on other lawyers, court clerks and judges who will be running your case. This is an advantage as the lawyer can predict actions of judges and anticipate other divorce attorneys moves.
3. No Emotional Bond- From the emotional toll before and during your divorce proceedings, you will become attached to certain items and intangible aspects through the divorce. A divorce attorney will not have the emotional bond to a court case that a person going through the divorce will have. There is no doubt that the legal representative will have your best interest, but he or she will not make irrational decisions based on emotions. They will rather base decisions upon fair compensation and legal practices. If a person is going through a divorce with children, these emotions are even higher, having another reason to hire a family law specialist.
4. Efficient- If a person is trying to complete their own divorce, it will take a lot of research, time and effort to understand the legal filing process, terms and procedures. If that same person is working and taking care of kids, it's nearly impossible to complete efficiently. When hiring a divorce attorney, these tasks will be handled swiftly and professionally by your divorce lawyer.
5. Expertise- By working with the same type of clients and dealing with the legal system, a divorce lawyer has built an expertise in the family law field. Other attorneys may practice different entities of the legal system, but an attorney who deals strictly with family law and divorce, will have built their reputation and expertise in that field. Whenever hiring an attorney, always make sure they have expertise or credentials showing their skills in their field of practice.
If you are deciding whether or not to hire a divorce attorney, it will be much easier on you and your family if you do. By hiring a divorce lawyer, he/she will be giving the professionalism and experience that is needed when dwelling into the legal system. The divorce attorney be as efficient as possible with filing papers with the courts and not having the emotional bond that their clients hold onto during a divorce. Hiring an expert in the field of family law will give you an advantage and save much time and effort during a high turmoil time in your life
Why You Need a Divorce Lawyer
So the time has come and you are making the big step of meeting with a divorce attorney for the first time. You are nervous, unsure, and yet excited about getting the show on the road. But the question is what are you going to talk about?
If you are looking for answers about your impending divorce, then you obviously need to have the right questions. Otherwise, you could end up spending that first hour listening to a "sales pitch" rather than getting the answers that you have been so desperately waiting for. It is crucial that you walk into that divorce attorney's office with a plan of action so that you can make the best of this opportunity. If you have to, then carry a list a questions with you, a checklist, anything that will make sure that you cover all the bases. Otherwise, you could end up to spending extra money down the road by calling and asking questions that you should have covered during that first meeting.
Here is a short list of information that you should be able to walk out of the divorce attorney's office with, and a good idea if this is the lawyer that will fighting for your best interests. Remember your financial situation and a great deal of you post-divorce life will likely depend on how hard your divorce attorney works for you.
1) What is it going to cost you? Get specifics on the attorney's fees, including whether or not he/she wants a a large retainer up front or if they will be billing you on a regular basis. You also need to get an idea of what your divorce will cost. This is just an estimate, but an experienced divorce attorney should be able to give a fairly accurate figure.
2) Get detailed information about their experience in divorce law and how long they have been working in the county that you are filing in. You will obviously want an attorney who specializes in divorce, or at the very least family law. And if he/she is new to the county, then you may want to look elsewhere. For obvious reasons, It is a great benefit to have a divorce attorney who is familiar with the judges and other lawyers in the area.
3) Find out if they tend to take a combative or cooperative approach when it comes to dealing with your spouse's attorney, and how often their divorce cases go to trial. You want this to match your style as well. If you are hoping to avoid conflict and want to "settle" your divorce quickly, you will want to be wary of combative attorneys. But on the flipside, you do not want a divorce attorney that will not fight for your rights if your divorce starts to get nasty.
4) Also, it is not unreasonable to ask what the divorce attorney thinks the outcome of your divorce will be. This includes everything, including what you should expect regarding marital property, alimony, child custody and child support. A divorce attorney that declines to give you information on this is either too inexperienced or is afraid to tell you the truth, especially if it is a type of outcome that might not work in your favor. Either way, if this happens, it may be best to look elsewhere for more experienced, straightforward divorce attorney.
Obviously, there is a lot more information that you would want to get from a divorce attorney. And you also need to be prepared to answer detailed questions from them, so that they can get a full understanding of your divorce case.
Divorce can sometimes be the best option for a bad marriage. However, getting a divorce is not an easy task. The procedure usually involves a lot of legal complexities relating to the custody of children, property, alimony, child support, and other such issues. Letting a divorce lawyer deal with all of the messy issues is often the best choice for either party.