Selecting a divorce attorney is a critical decision making process here in the Colorado Springs area. The person who you hire will be responsible for obtaining or maintaining your custody rights to your children, your property interests, and depending upon the side you are one, either minimizing or maximizing your support rights.
In reality, selecting a divorce attorney is also an incredibly stressful experience. Do it right and you can breath easy. Do it wrong and you will spend years making up for losses that might have been prevented. Do not fear though, we are here to help you in finding your divorce lawyer!
5 Tips to Help You Find a Divorce Attorney
A divorce is a hard thing to go through. It can be an emotionally and financially draining process. This is a vulnerable time in anyone's life, and choosing a good divorce attorney is a must. You will be putting your life in this person's hands. The outcome of the case can determine your financial standings for many years, and the consequences of a bad divorce attorney can be devastating, especially if there are children involved. Here are some tips for choosing a good divorce attorney.
First of all, you should interview several divorce attorneys. You will need to be able to understand which attorney will work the hardest for you, how much experience the attorney has, and if you will be comfortable working with the attorney. Your divorce attorney will be working for you, and you should ask for references, find out about experience, and speak directly to the attorney. A good divorce attorney won't mind if you ask questions, and in fact, should encourage questions. Any good divorce attorney will understand how much could be at stake in this situation, and will understand that you need to be able to ask questions and receive fair and open answers. You should inquire about the fees at this time as well, and when they will be due.
Typically, this interview process is provided at minimal and even no charge. Unless a particular divorce attorney comes highly recommended from multiple sources, you may want to think twice about paying large fees for this initial consultation and interview.
You might consider opening the yellow pages to search for your attorney, which is fine if you interview them well, but consider another option first. If you have any friends who've had to go through this, ask them for an attorney's name. You will have a good starting point there, because you can get inside info from your friend on how well the attorney works, how hard he will work for you, and what the outcome of the case was.
Usually, a good divorce attorney will try to settle your case without going to court. Attorney's fees are usually higher the longer and more complex the case gets. So, if the divorce can be settled without going to court, the fees will usually be lower. If the attorney suggests that you go straight to court with no attempt to resolve your issues without a judge, chances are he just wants a good payday. In reality, this type of lawyer doesn't care what happens to you or your family, and this is not what you want. A good divorce attorney will still charge his fees, but he won't deliberately try to hike the fees up by going to court when there's really no need. Also, a good attorney would take into consideration the parties feelings and emotions, especially if children are involved.
If the divorce attorney suggests counseling, this is a sign of a good attorney. This shows that the attorney actually cares for the well being of your family. A poor attorney wouldn't care, and would rather you went ahead with the divorce, counseling or not. He would get paid more if you didn't go to counseling. Although a good attorney wants to get paid also, he would rather you and your spouse tried counseling first. If there's a chance to salvage your marriage, a good divorce attorney will suggest you do so, but then proceed with the divorce if there's no other option. Then he will fight to get you what you deserve, and to ensure that you are given a fair divorce hearing.
Choosing a good divorce attorney will ensure that you won't have to worry about your representation, and with everything else on your mind, one less worry is a good thing. This is a time to move on with your life, and look to the future, and with these tips, you are on your way to doing just that.
Good Divorce Lawyer - How to Find Them
As a marriage starts out in euphoria, sometimes it doesn't last and soon enters into a divorce. Around half of all marriages will fall apart and eventually file for divorce. The next step that should be considered is either obtaining a divorce attorney or attempting to file all the legal documents by yourself. There should be some careful consideration before a decision is made.
No one goes into a marriage thinking they will eventually file for a divorce. Dismally in our society, divorces have become more common and accepting than generations before. Either way, the whole family is hurt by a divorce. Emotions and strengths of character are tested during the roller coaster ride of a divorce. By having emotions and feelings being hit so hard, a person going through a divorce should not have to deal with the legal issues pertaining to their case. This era in one's life should not be thought lightly and a divorce attorney should be hired to ease the burden. Even if you are contemplating hiring a divorce attorney, it should be considered that even lawyers will hire and delegate their own divorces to other attorneys.
Advantages When Hiring a Divorce Attorney
1. Experience- Many people going through a divorce, do not have the slightest clue of the legal proceedings. A divorce attorney on the other hand will know exactly what and when to proceed with filings. Having a legal professional that has expertise in family law will be an advantage to your side. They will be able to educate and inform their clients on the particulars of divorce laws that are unique to your locality. Family law specialists will be able to offer their insight on what the outcome of the divorce will yield. There is no perfect divorce equation, but having the experience, a divorce lawyer can have a good guess on what is going to happen.
2. Local Experience- Hiring a local attorney is much better than hiring a high profile attorney that is not located in your jurisdiction. Not only will they will understand the local laws, but they will have a good impression on other lawyers, court clerks and judges who will be running your case. This is an advantage as the lawyer can predict actions of judges and anticipate other divorce attorneys moves.
3. No Emotional Bond- From the emotional toll before and during your divorce proceedings, you will become attached to certain items and intangible aspects through the divorce. A divorce attorney will not have the emotional bond to a court case that a person going through the divorce will have. There is no doubt that the legal representative will have your best interest, but he or she will not make irrational decisions based on emotions. They will rather base decisions upon fair compensation and legal practices. If a person is going through a divorce with children, these emotions are even higher, having another reason to hire a family law specialist.
4. Efficient- If a person is trying to complete their own divorce, it will take a lot of research, time and effort to understand the legal filing process, terms and procedures. If that same person is working and taking care of kids, it's nearly impossible to complete efficiently. When hiring a divorce attorney, these tasks will be handled swiftly and professionally by your divorce lawyer.
5. Expertise- By working with the same type of clients and dealing with the legal system, a divorce lawyer has built an expertise in the family law field. Other attorneys may practice different entities of the legal system, but an attorney who deals strictly with family law and divorce, will have built their reputation and expertise in that field. Whenever hiring an attorney, always make sure they have expertise or credentials showing their skills in their field of practice.
If you are deciding whether or not to hire a divorce attorney, it will be much easier on you and your family if you do. By hiring a divorce lawyer, he/she will be giving the professionalism and experience that is needed when dwelling into the legal system. The divorce attorney be as efficient as possible with filing papers with the courts and not having the emotional bond that their clients hold onto during a divorce. Hiring an expert in the field of family law will give you an advantage and save much time and effort during a high turmoil time in your life
Why You Need a Divorce Lawyer
Going through a divorce is a devastating thing for most people. It is one of the worst times in anyone's life. It is an emotional time, not knowing what your financial status will be until it is over. Whether you want to or not, it is critical that you find an excellent divorce attorney. Your financial stability depends on it. However it is not always as easy as it sounds. You need to find the best there is, and often it will take some research in order to find someone who will represent your best interests.
When you first start your search, create a list of attorneys that you may be interested in. Make appointments with each of them and then interview each one. Make sure you are speaking to the attorney that will handle your case and not a law clerk or paralegal. Most divorce attorneys will not charge for this initial consultation because they realize they are being interviewed.
Ask them how long they have been in practice and what their success rate is. Ask for references from past clients and speak to them. Also ask them what their fees are and what they include. Find out if you can get questions answered during the procedure without them billing you for every microsecond that they talk to you.
A good divorce attorney will welcome and answer any question that you have. He or she above all understands what is at stake and will do everything in his or her power to get you what you deserve.
Most divorce attorneys do not charge for the initial consultation. However if the attorney is highly sought after, there may be a consultation fee. You may want to consider paying this fee because the attorney did not get his or her reputation for losing cases.
When you first start your search for a divorce attorney, you can start with your local phonebook. Another option is to ask friends and family who have suffered divorce for their recommendations. Personal recommendations can carry a lot of value if you trust and respect the person giving their opinion.
A good divorce attorney will take into consideration the needs of you and your family, especially if you have children. He or she will do everything they can to settle your case out of court. While they usually charge one rate, if the divorce can be settled out of court, most often they will reduce their rate, sometimes significantly.
Be wary of an attorney that wants to go to court. He or she may not have your best interest in mind. Again, if an out of court settlement can be reached, that is most likely in your best financial interests.
A good attorney will also do everything in his or her power to make sure that the divorce is the only answer to your marital situation. This could include recommending counseling. If there is a chance to salvage your marriage, he or she will encourage you to take the chance. Only when there is no other option will he or she proceed with the divorce and make sure that you get your share of the marital assets.
Choosing a good divorce attorney will give you the peace of mind in knowing that you will be well taken care of at a time of confusion, chaos and just a mess of dealings. Divorce is hard on all parties that are involved and with a good divorce attorney; it can relieve some of the stress from your life.
Divorce can sometimes be the best option for a bad marriage. However, getting a divorce is not an easy task. The procedure usually involves a lot of legal complexities relating to the custody of children, property, alimony, child support, and other such issues. Letting a divorce lawyer deal with all of the messy issues is often the best choice for either party.