As a marriage starts out in euphoria, sometimes it doesn’t last and soon enters into a divorce. Around half of all marriages will fall apart and eventually file for divorce. The next step that should be considered is either obtaining a divorce attorney or attempting to file all the legal documents by yourself. There should be some careful consideration before a decision is made.
No one goes into a marriage thinking they will eventually file for a divorce. Dismally in our society, divorces have become more common and accepting than generations before. Either way, the whole family is hurt by a divorce. Emotions and strengths of character are tested during the roller coaster ride of a divorce. By having emotions and feelings being hit so hard, a person going through a divorce should not have to deal with the legal issues pertaining to their case. This era in one’s life should not be thought lightly and a divorce attorney should be hired to ease the burden. Even if you are contemplating hiring a divorce attorney, it should be considered that even lawyers will hire and delegate their own divorces to other attorneys.
Why You Need a Divorce Lawyer
Divorce can sometimes be the best option for a bad marriage. However, getting a divorce is not an easy task. The procedure usually involves a lot of legal complexities relating to the custody of children, property, alimony, child support, and other such issues. Letting a divorce lawyer deal with all of the messy issues is often the best choice for either party.
Divorce lawyers are usually lawyers that deal with family law. They are specialized in all areas of family matters and can provide sound legal counsel. It is usual, as well as safer, for both parties to use different divorce lawyers to deal with the proceedings. The divorce lawyer should provide excellent advice relating to the divorce proceedings, and also other matters that might surface later on.
Checking through the yellow pages will produce quite a list of all the lawyers practicing family law. However, the best kinds of divorce lawyers are most often known by word of mouth. Browsing through the Internet is another option to look for a good divorce lawyer. Many websites help their customers locate a good practicing family lawyer in a specific geographic area. Of course, locating a divorce lawyer through the state bar association is always an available method to those looking for accredited lawyers working for the government.
The first meeting with a divorce lawyer is the most important. It is very important to check for the lawyer's credentials and experience in family law cases before signing an agreement. Checking the references provided by a lawyer is a good step toward verifying his success rate. Since all the lawyers that are members of AAML or the American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers are highly experienced, getting one that is a member is an added bonus.
The lawyer you select should be able to provide all the legal help that will be involved in the divorce proceedings. The current number of cases that are being handled by the lawyer will also matter. Lawyers who are bogged down with work usually do not provide enough individual attention. Your lawyer must be able to be contacted at all times, either in person, or by phone.
Another important thing to consider before hiring a divorce lawyer is the fee. This could include the consultation, case-filing fee, and the method in which the fee is likely to be charged. Generally, there are ways a lawyer might charge. The first is a flat fee. The second is normally tallied at the end of the case on an hourly basis. A good lawyer should be ready to negotiate an out of court settlement or litigations from the other parties. A signed written agreement between the lawyer and the client is always the best way to seal a pact.
Good Divorce Lawyer - How to Find Them
Advantages When Hiring a Divorce Attorney
1. Experience- Many people going through a divorce, do not have the slightest clue of the legal proceedings. A divorce attorney on the other hand will know exactly what and when to proceed with filings. Having a legal professional that has expertise in family law will be an advantage to your side. They will be able to educate and inform their clients on the particulars of divorce laws that are unique to your locality. Family law specialists will be able to offer their insight on what the outcome of the divorce will yield. There is no perfect divorce equation, but having the experience, a divorce lawyer can have a good guess on what is going to happen.
2. Local Experience- Hiring a local attorney is much better than hiring a high profile attorney that is not located in your jurisdiction. Not only will they will understand the local laws, but they will have a good impression on other lawyers, court clerks and judges who will be running your case. This is an advantage as the lawyer can predict actions of judges and anticipate other divorce attorneys moves.
3. No Emotional Bond- From the emotional toll before and during your divorce proceedings, you will become attached to certain items and intangible aspects through the divorce. A divorce attorney will not have the emotional bond to a court case that a person going through the divorce will have. There is no doubt that the legal representative will have your best interest, but he or she will not make irrational decisions based on emotions. They will rather base decisions upon fair compensation and legal practices. If a person is going through a divorce with children, these emotions are even higher, having another reason to hire a family law specialist.
4. Efficient- If a person is trying to complete their own divorce, it will take a lot of research, time and effort to understand the legal filing process, terms and procedures. If that same person is working and taking care of kids, it’s nearly impossible to complete efficiently. When hiring a divorce attorney, these tasks will be handled swiftly and professionally by your divorce lawyer.
5. Expertise- By working with the same type of clients and dealing with the legal system, a divorce lawyer has built an expertise in the family law field. Other attorneys may practice different entities of the legal system, but an attorney who deals strictly with family law and divorce, will have built their reputation and expertise in that field. Whenever hiring an attorney, always make sure they have expertise or credentials showing their skills in their field of practice.
If you are deciding whether or not to hire a divorce attorney, it will be much easier on you and your family if you do. By hiring a divorce lawyer, he/she will be giving the professionalism and experience that is needed when dwelling into the legal system. The divorce attorney be as efficient as possible with filing papers with the courts and not having the emotional bond that their clients hold onto during a divorce. Hiring an expert in the field of family law will give you an advantage and save much time and effort during a high turmoil time in your life
Good Divorce Lawyer - How to Find Them
A divorce is a hard thing to go through. It can be an emotionally and financially draining process. This is a vulnerable time in anyone's life, and choosing a good divorce attorney is a must. You will be putting your life in this person's hands. The outcome of the case can determine your financial standings for many years, and the consequences of a bad divorce attorney can be devastating, especially if there are children involved. Here are some tips for choosing a good divorce attorney.
First of all, you should interview several divorce attorneys. You will need to be able to understand which attorney will work the hardest for you, how much experience the attorney has, and if you will be comfortable working with the attorney. Your divorce attorney will be working for you, and you should ask for references, find out about experience, and speak directly to the attorney. A good divorce attorney won't mind if you ask questions, and in fact, should encourage questions. Any good divorce attorney will understand how much could be at stake in this situation, and will understand that you need to be able to ask questions and receive fair and open answers. You should inquire about the fees at this time as well, and when they will be due.
Typically, this interview process is provided at minimal and even no charge. Unless a particular divorce attorney comes highly recommended from multiple sources, you may want to think twice about paying large fees for this initial consultation and interview.
You might consider opening the yellow pages to search for your attorney, which is fine if you interview them well, but consider another option first. If you have any friends who've had to go through this, ask them for an attorney's name. You will have a good starting point there, because you can get inside info from your friend on how well the attorney works, how hard he will work for you, and what the outcome of the case was.
Usually, a good divorce attorney will try to settle your case without going to court. Attorney's fees are usually higher the longer and more complex the case gets. So, if the divorce can be settled without going to court, the fees will usually be lower. If the attorney suggests that you go straight to court with no attempt to resolve your issues without a judge, chances are he just wants a good payday. In reality, this type of lawyer doesn't care what happens to you or your family, and this is not what you want. A good divorce attorney will still charge his fees, but he won't deliberately try to hike the fees up by going to court when there's really no need. Also, a good attorney would take into consideration the parties feelings and emotions, especially if children are involved.
If the divorce attorney suggests counseling, this is a sign of a good attorney. This shows that the attorney actually cares for the well being of your family. A poor attorney wouldn't care, and would rather you went ahead with the divorce, counseling or not. He would get paid more if you didn't go to counseling. Although a good attorney wants to get paid also, he would rather you and your spouse tried counseling first. If there's a chance to salvage your marriage, a good divorce attorney will suggest you do so, but then proceed with the divorce if there's no other option. Then he will fight to get you what you deserve, and to ensure that you are given a fair divorce hearing.
Choosing a good divorce attorney will ensure that you won't have to worry about your representation, and with everything else on your mind, one less worry is a good thing. This is a time to move on with your life, and look to the future, and with these tips, you are on your way to doing just that.